Thursday 1 March 2012

When will people stop jumping on the football bandwagon?

So, tonight saw England play a friendly against Holland and as expected, they lost 3-2.

The thing that annoys me most about international football (besides it's interference with the Premier League) is the many people, who don't care about the sport at all, who suddenly appear as if they're the worlds biggest football fan.

And before, you get all 'what does she know?' it turns out 'she' knows far more than most people think. As someone who spent 5 years going to Old Trafford to watch Manchester United play, I know more than most about football. I have actually seen England play more than once & have been to Wembley more than once to see matches. One of my more memorable matches being the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster one against rivals Manchester City.


But enough of my footballing experiences (although I could write a few hundred words on them), I have no problem with people who post about football & generally take an interest in it, but the people who can't name a single player (except the obvious ones like Gerrard), really irritate me. Yes, I can see that people want to back their national team, that's fine, but please don't pretend you know everything about it! Wrong criticisms of the use of cards & don't get me started on the offside rule, take it too far. It's often the same situation when many 'top teams' play (Manchester United/Liverpool/Chelsea/etc). People who've never posted a single sport related status in their lives suddenly come out of the woodwork with their opinions on the game (which they didn't watch, they're just hopping on the bandwagon or saw Match of the Day).

I'm not saying people shouldn't support or follow England, I just believe people who are going to attempt to take an interest should at least try to make the effort when it comes to learning the rules & names of players.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.